Just because you’re working on your heart health doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy Taco Tuesday! Tacos are usually high in saturated fat, high in salt, and low in fiber. Try spicing up your Taco Tuesday with these variations:
- Fish or Shrimp Tacos. Fish is a great source of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
- Go Vegetarian. Substitute black beans and sauteed onion, which also give you points for fiber!
- Turkey Time. Ground turkey is a leaner option with the same mouthfeel as ground beef
- The Sneaky Way. Cook minced mushroom into your beef. If you have picky eaters, you may want to pulse the mushrooms through a food processor first. The mushrooms add umami, stretch the meat a little farther, add plant-based nutrition, and provides half of the saturated fat content compared to a 100% beef taco.
- Go light on cheese and sour cream. Mozzarella is naturally lower in fat, and a sharp cheese will give you more flavor per ounce. Try a reduce fat version of sour cream, or use avocado with lemon instead for a creamy, tangy, and cool effect.
- Crunch Smart. Instead of a fried shell for crunch, bake your own corn or wheat tortillas and eat like nachos. Better yet, make a taco salad with crunchy iceberg or romaine lettuce.
- Keep Salt Low. Check your taco seasonings to make sure there is no added salt. Mrs. Dash offers a Salt-Free Taco Seasoning. Or even make your own!
Recipe: 3 TBSP chili powder, 1 TBSP cumin, 1 TSP onion powder, 1 TSP garlic powder, ¼ TSP thyme, ½ TSP oregano, ½ TBSP basil