I know that along with the holiday season comes a lot of extra things for us to do…..shopping, wrapping, decorating, baking, etc. So, it’s no wonder why this time of year can sometimes lead to a drop in our exercise activity. Unless we want to start to look like the jolly, fat man himself, we need to at least try and stay fit. Of course, keeping to your workout routine is the easiest answer to give but unless you have an army of your own little elves to help out, this may be a little difficult. A great suggestion, though, is to combine your fitness with holiday activities. Try some of these healthy holiday events in and around Charlotte.
GO ICE SKATING
Whether your a pro or a beginner, ice skating is a good workout for everyone and finding a place to go skating this year is easier than ever. Here are four outdoor ice skating rinks open for the season.
- Holiday On Ice skating rink to the heart of uptown again. Located at the NASCAR Hall of Fame Plaza, the rink is open through Jan. 7, 2018. Special events include Princess Day on Dec. 3, and a special Date Night on Dec. 9. Admission is $10 for all-day skating, and skate rentals are $4. Standard hours are Wednesday through Friday, 5-10 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.; and Sunday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m., and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekdays when Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools are out.
- Winter Wonderland (new this year), located between Symphony Park and SouthPark Mall. The 5,000 square-foot ice-skating rink features holiday lights and décor, as well as attractions like Santa’s Pub and a coffee shop, live music, special guests and activities throughout the season, including live country music artists every Friday night. Winter Wonderland is open through Jan. 8, 2018. Find hours and special event information at http://winterwonderlandsouthpark.com.
- Founders Holiday Ice Rink located just across from Fountain Park on Saluda Street in Rock Hill, is open through Jan. 15, 2018. Admission is $10 and includes skate rentals. Every Wednesday is buy one, get one skate passes. More information at https://www.onlyinoldtown.com.
- The Ice Park at Concord Mills also has an outdoor skating rink open through Jan. 15, 2018. Tickets are $12 and includes skates. Schedule and specials available at http://www.thespeedpark.com.
WALK IN A WINTER WONDERLAND
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden’s winter wonderland Holiday Lights at the Garden includes more than 600,000 lights and illuminated displays of twinkling trees and sparkling fountains, plus displays of model trains by Metrolina Model Railway. The event is open daily from 5-9 p.m. through Dec. 31, but closed Christmas Day. Find activities just for kids along the Children’s Holiday Discovery Trail and enjoy horse-drawn carriage rides. Mrs. Claus visits from Nov. 27-29, Dec. 4-6, 11-13 and 18-24 from 6 to 8 p.m. Tickets are $8.95-$14.95, and free for members and children age 2 and younger. Additional information available at https://www.dsbg.org.
GO FOR A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE
While riding a rollercoaster may not be exercise, any of us who have been to Carowinds know that it requires its fair share of walking (or running if your really excited). Carowinds is transforming into a magical winter wonderland this holiday season with a 70-foot Christmas tree, lavish holiday displays and performances, wandering performers, and 5 million lights decorating the state line between North and South Carolina. Kids also can make cookies with Mrs. Claus. The most exciting part for kids, however, may be the 16 rides that are open for a winter thrill. Winterfest is open Friday- Sunday through Dec. 30, plus daily Dec. 18-21 and Dec. 26-28 from 5-10 p.m. Tickets start at $25. Find out more at https://www.carowinds.com.
RUN, RUN LIKE RUDOLPH
Join in some of these local marathons and fun runs while helping to raise money for worthwhile causes.
- Jingle Bell Run – Saturday, December 9th. The Arthritis Foundation’s original Jingle Bell Run is a fun way to get decked out and be festive, while racing to raise funds and awareness to cure America’s #1 cause of disability. Put on your favorite holiday costume. Tie jingle bells to your shoelaces. ’Tis the season to live it up and be jolly for a reason! Bring a team of friends, family and coworkers to run or walk, spread smiles and good cheer … and be a Champion of Yes! 100 percent of your registration fee and fundraising efforts go to this great cause. More information is available at http://www.jbr.org.
- Run Run Rudolph 5k/10k – Saturday, December 16th. The 5th Annual Run Run Rudolph 5k/10k run and walk will be held on December 16, 2017 at 8:00am in the beautiful University Research Park. This race is a great way to celebrate the season as we have a fully stocked hot chocolate bar, candy cane bottle opener awards and we are giving away a $50 Charlotte Running Co gift card for the best seasonally dressed male and female race participant. Participant applause-o-meter will determine our best dressed winners. A one of a kind long sleeve hooded race t-shirts will be given to all participants who pre-register for the event. The long sleeve hooded event t-shirts will be first come, first serve for those who register on race day. A portion of each registration for Run Run Rudolph 5k/10k will be given to the ever popular Dirt Diva’s Project Angel and we will be hosting a the final day of the CMPD Explorer Toy Drive. What a GREAT way to celebrate the season!! Learn more at https://runrunrudolph5k10k.racesonline.com.
- Jingle Jog Race & Taste 10/k – Saturday, December 23th. Join us at the Trump National Golf Course in Mooresville, NC for the Jingle Jog Race and Taste 10K. Run for a reason! Participate in the Jingle Jog Race and Taste 10k to support St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital with 100% of proceeds being donated. Registration and information available at https://runsignup.com/Race/NC/Mooresville/JingleJogRaceTaste10K.
And these are only a few of the events happening around The Queen City this holiday season. Don’t forget about the other traditional holiday activities, such as, sledding, hiking, skiing or even a walk around the neighborhood to look at lights. Whatever gets you moving is a good thing. We wish you and your family a healthy, happy holiday season!
For more nutritional guidance and a free consultation, contact us today.
Email: [email protected]