Healthy Halloween Party Snacks – Halloween: the time of year where candy is everywhere and unhealthy party snacks seem unavoidable. However, eating doesn’t have to be scary during this spooky season! There are still ways to get your nutrients while enjoying this festive time of year. Here we have some easy party snacks to put together, for both kids and adults.
For the Adults
Here are some snacks geared a bit more towards an adult taste palette! Rather you’re hosting a party or attending one, here are some spooky themed treats to share.
- Halloween Roasted Veggies: Cut potatoes, beets, and carrots into fun shapes for a healthy Halloween color scheme snack. Oil and season to your liking then pop them in the oven.
- Spooky Charcuterie Board: This one is customizable and so fun. You can even pick a certain color and arrange your foods to look like a shape, such as a skull or a pumpkin! Here are some healthy snacks that fit the Halloween color scheme: blackberries, popcorn, clementines, pretzels, black olives, grapes, nuts, cheese, carrots, and rye chips.
- Eyeball Caprese Salad: Simple yet delicious! Start with a single basil leaf, then add half of a cherry tomato, a mini ball of mozzarella, and top with a black olive. A bit creepy but so flavorful.
- Autumn Pasta Salad: This recipe calls for multicolored pasta, broccoli, sweet potatoes, dried cranberries, red onion, pine nuts / pumpkin seeds, and goat cheese. You will also need olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast your sweet potatoes in the oven while cooking your pasta. Let both items cool and then combine in a bowl with the rest of your ingredients. Season and top with goat cheese.
- Homemade Trail Mix: This can work for either adults or kids! A good place to start is with Chex Mix and/or pretzels. Add in items such as dried cranberries, raisins, popcorn, chocolate covered peanuts, and maybe some candy corn if you still want some traditional sweetness.
Bonus: Check out our previous post on how to enjoy Oktoberfest in a mindful manner! How have a Healthy Oktoberfest – Total Nutrition Technology
For the Kids
Now onto some healthy candy alternatives for the kiddos!
- Ghost Clementines: Wrap a clementine or orange in white tissue wrap and secure with a black bow. Draw a ghost face and now you have a ghoulish fruit!
- Pumpkin Fruit Cups: Draw Jack-o-Lantern faces on mandarin orange or peach fruit cups for an easy grab-and-go snack.
- Witch Broomsticks: Place stick pretzels upright in a plastic bag, along with a black straw, and then secure the bag with a bow. The goal is for the straw to look like the broomstick, and the pretzels to be the bristles.
- Mummy Raisin Boxes: Wrap boxes of raisins in masking tape and add some googly eyes to top it off!
- Ritz Crackers Spiders: Start with a ritz cracker, add peanut butter, then 3 pretzels to each side of the cracker, and another cracker on top. Add candy googly eyes to the top for a special touch.
Happy Healthy Halloween!
While it’s okay to splurge a little bit on candy during the Halloween season, try out some of these alternatives instead! They’re so easy to make and just as fun to look at.